Thursday, September 2, 2010

Thinking about Math!

So far we have been successful using different strategies to help us solve "working on" multiplication combinations.  Some of our strategies include: using a "start with" combination, skip counting, repeated addition, making arrays and breaking them into more manageable pieces. 

Which combinations are difficult for you?  What is the strategy you use to help you find the answer?  Tell us!

23 comments:

  1. It is fun learning our multiplication facts but also hard.

    Brett :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it i s a great idea to make multiplication cards to help us learn. First I thoungt multiplication was really hard but now it gets much easyer for me every day!! Math is a great thing to learn in School!!!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very fun multiplieng in class.wiht our oun cards. I hope we can can multeplie very often. I get better every day. it is great learning in school. This is the best School ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think when we do it more we could maybe be quicker to know what the awnser is in multiplacation. It is fun!
    Berti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Multiplacation is hard and also fun at the same time. I think that moltiplication gets easyer when you practice hard.
    Carlotta and big bro

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like multiplecation

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the hard thing was to practice without the start with but when i had a start with it was much easier.
    The hard one was 11X12 the start with is 10X12 the answer to 11X12 is 132. It is fun doing it.
    From Theresa :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Multiplication is hard but i love it
    12x12=???????
    first i start it 12x10 i know that its 120
    and i plus 4 and 40 and thas 144.

    love peter

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that the hardest multiplicatoin is 12X6 it is hard that = 72.It is fun but hard.
    my stratagy is to do starts withs
    My start with is 11x6.
    from
    carlota :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Ms Castro
    I have trouble with the 5 times table.
    And I am working on 5x12.
    I could do 10x5=50 add on 2x5=10 adds up to 60
    from Erynn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm visiting your blog and I think the comments by the students are great, because they are very thoughtful and give full examples of you are thinking. Thank you for modeling such good comment writing, Miss Castro's class!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Math is very good for your brain.
    l have a math struggle with 12 times table.
    bart

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am still working on this multiplication fact 9x24. I know that 9x12=108. So I just have to double it and then I know the awnser!
    From Tim

    ReplyDelete
  14. 7X8 was hard for me so my start with was 7X10=70 and then I took away 14 and that is 56

    from youri:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Ms.Castro,

    I think 9x12=??? is hard because 12s are allways hard. I did 9x10=90, 90+18=108 with is the answer atleast Ithink it is!!!(90+9+9=108)I do have more that i do not understand but that is one of the hardest!!!

    from:
    lexi

    ReplyDelete
  16. my combinatoin I am working on is 6X7=? my start with is 6X6=36 then I add 6 and is 42.

    From Youri:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am working on 11x11=121(little bit)I did like this. 11x10+11. I like math.

    from jason :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear ms. castro,

    9x4=?? is hard. I did 4x10=40, 40-4=36 and that is defenetle a correct combination!!!
    That is how I got the answer.

    From:
    lexi

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love multiplication !!!!!!!!!! I just need to practice 11x12 =?????? I just use a start with combination like 9x11=99 then 11x12=132 with a start with is easier!!!!!!!!!! I REALLY LOVE MULTIPLICATION !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i know 11x3 becauseyou have to duble it three times in this casebecause there is a three and 11.
    lexi

    ReplyDelete