So far we've had to two guest speakers come to visit us this week. Mrs. Coffey came to speak to us about her nephew who has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. We learned that as a young boy, he could run and play but as he got older, his muscles got weaker. He is now 25 years old and in a wheelchair, able to move only his head and finger. Mrs. Coffey talked to us about some of the prejudgements that her nephew has experienced in his life and the ways that this has made him feel. Mrs. Coffey's nephew is an artist and writer. We looked at some of his work from his art exhibition.
What did you think about this visit? How did it impact you?
Our second visitor this week was Ms. Wilcox. She came to speak to us about work she has done in the UK with people who have disabilities. She reminded us that everything we do can be adapted so that people who have disabilities can also do it in some way.
What did you think about the work that Ms. Wilcox has done with people who have disabilities? How did hearing the stories about these people impact you?
Ms Coffey's story was amazing and the twins were so impressed with the accomplishments of her newphew.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing his story.
Dear Ms.Castro,
ReplyDeleteI thought it was sad that Aiden has Dushen but i hope he will still live lond. it was very intresting lisining.
Ithnk that Ms. Wilcox had a good job helping the people with disabilities because you help the kids to have a better life and they make your life also better and you learn a lot from them and how they do stof but different.
ReplyDeletewhen i was listening to Ms. Wilcox I thought that the some storys were very sad because i do not remember the name but some one had a birthday party and no one came only Ms. Wilcox and annother person came but they still had lots of fun.
from,
carlotta:)
I think Ms.Wilcox was a good guestspeaker because it's the first guest speaker that worked with people who had disabilitys. It was very intresting how she talked about the kids that had disabilitys because she told us realy how these kids could still do alot of things as we could. Ms.Wilcox also told us about the disabilitys that they had like: cerebral palsy, autism and down syndrome. It was very intresting;)!!!
ReplyDeletel liked when Ms. Wilcox toght obout Ben and ther coversasion he was in a movebl bed he had sever severpalsi . Susi had otism so she coldend spec and she was 8. severpalsi. he was 25.
ReplyDeletebart
I think what ms.Wilcox did to the children (Ben, James, Susie, Christopher) who have disabilities was very helpful and handy to the children because ms.Wilcox taught them how to communicate with her but in a different way. She also made the children's life much better.
ReplyDeletei think her act was heroic.
when ms.wilcox explained about, i don't remember the name but he had a birthday party and invited lots of friends but only a few came. i think that was really heartbreaking. its really sad that some people pre-judge people with disabilities without knowing them.
from ju eun
I liked that Ms Wilcox helped childeren with disabilities, because she helped them to have fun when they have a disabilities instead of being sad that they can't play outside. Ms.wilcox also worked in a elementary school and in a university. At the elementary school she worked with childeren with disabilities and she did the same at the university.
ReplyDeleteYOURI:o
I think that Ms. Wilcox had a big expirience with children that have disabilitys. I was impressed on the playground that there is such a playground only for childeren with disabilitys. I learned much more on what children can do also with disabilitys. It is good to hear that Ms. Wilcox can communicat with the children that can't speak well.
ReplyDeleteMs. Wilcox told about five children. It was amazing what they could do that we can't do. I learned much more now.
From Berti :0)
I think Ms Wilcox was a good example for the kids with disabilities because she could teach them new things. She could also have conversations with them and understand there feelings. There was a kid named Ben and he had sever Cerebral palsy. Cerebral palsy is a disabilitie that makes you uncontrollable of your body.
ReplyDeletezachary
I think Ms.Wilcox was good and helpful for kids who had disabilities and I was surpriesd that she really had fun with them!It is good that thier are people to help these people with disabilities and to have fun with them!
ReplyDeleteI was surpriesd that the kids with the disability make her happy if she had a bad day!because i normaly think that mabye they are friends to her,they like each other and friends make you happy so i think that!! ;)
Florian :P
I think that Ms. Wilcox tought us alot about people with disabilities. I thought her story about Ben was the most interesting. Ben had Severe Cerebral palsy, he could not move his legs arms or speak. He could only move his hand, He couldn't even talk. I also thought James's story was interesting James was paraylised from the waist down. He only used a wheel chair when he went outside, but inside he use to drag is legs behind him and walk with his hands. I was surprised to hear that James's favourite game was tag. He would crawl and try to tag people (he must of crawled realy fast). Ms. Wilcox worked at 2 schools for people with disabilities and 1 university for people with disabilities. I felt abit sad for the people with disabilities when she talked about them. I wonder if their happy and comfortable with life?
ReplyDeleteI was surprised that the nephew from Ms coffey is so happy because I would feel a little bit sad if I had a disability.It also surprised me that the learning support teacher found it out first and not the doctors.Most of the time Aidan felt embarassed and Ms coffey mad.Ms Wilcox worked with very much people who have disabilities the oldest person that came was someone who was 26 years old
ReplyDeleteI think Ms.Wilcox thought us alot about people with disabilites. When she said there are zip-liner for people with wheel chair I was realy suprised.I didnt realy like the story when she said the children didnt said thank you I think they didnt say thank you becauuse he was in a wheelchair why should he feal soory.
ReplyDeletePeter
I think ms. Wilcox tought us well about her job and how she actuly had to think of sighns to comunicate to kids who can't talk only hear!
ReplyDeleteI was veary surprised by what lots of kids expieriend stuff that I did't think they could to like the boy with no legs used his arms to get along and he could play tag (she said he was pritty fast!). I felt a bit sad for the kids with disabilitys because they could not do every thing that we could do alone or with somebody. I wonder how they feel, or if they are happy and comfertal with ther life?what realy made me think was that if I would not be able to do somthing for a day or week I would not have so much fun as usual. I was plesed to hear that all the kids that she helped and worked with wer happy with what they had.
lexi!!!
When Ms.Wilcox came in she talked alot about the people she helped she made me feel like people that have disablities can do the same things that we can because they made every thing so all kids can do it. This made me think what if the hole wold did this for the people that have disablities it mite make the people with disablities feel better about them selfes. But I was so suprise when she said some people cant see past the disablities for an example this man had a party for all his class mates but none of them came this made me think that this mite have made this life a bit sad for him because he can not help being the way he is. I learned that some people can not past the disablities. If some people can not see past it is a big promelm in the world wich means that they mite think that they are not right or the mite think that they are dum I would not like for this to happen to them.
ReplyDeleteAnnabelle
I think it was good was Ms.Wilkox did because she helped people with disabilities to have fun like other people and also had fun herself. When she had a bad day and went to these people she worked she fellt alot better. She learned from them more than they learned from her. She learned that when she fellt bad that she was actually really lucky. She talked about some children she worked with and i learned a new disability called Autism this means they live in there own world and see the world differently. The kid that amazed me most was called james. He amazed so much because he could not feel or use his legs. Inside he sat in a Wheelchair but outside he walked with his hands he could play tag and do all the other things that people with legs could do wich i thought i amazing. Another child called ben who only could move his left arm and lay down. Ms. Wilkox said that she had some amazing conversations with him thumbs up would mean yes and down would mean no.
ReplyDeletei thought it was amazing!!
From Julia:)
I think it was good that Ms.wilcox helped people with disabilities to enjoy there life and forget that they have a disabilities. Also she learned from them and when she had a bad day she would work with them and then she would feel ten times better. One of her students was called James who was paralyzed from his waist down. Inside James was in his wheel chair but outside he was never in his wheelchair. When he was outside he draged himself with his arms wich I thought was amazing. His favorite game was tag he would play it with the other children. Also she worked with a student called Ben. Ben could only lay down and he couldn't speak but he could only move his left arm. Still Ms.Wilcox had amazing conversations with him he would put his thumb up wich meant yes and down no.
ReplyDeleteFrom Theresa:)