Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Reflecting on Sharing the Planet

Think about our transdisciplinary theme: Sharing the Planet.  Together we have read aloud the book One Well by Rochelle Strauss.  We have also looked at some videos that talked about water issues.  Look through your notes from the reading and spend some time thinking about the other things we have talked about regarding water to help you reflect. 

What do you want to find out more about?  What have you learned that is new?  What surprised you the most?  How do you feel right now?

18 comments:

  1. I found out more about where everthing goes when you use the toilet, it goes to a place where they take the solid stuff for compost and the water they clean so we can use it again.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I thought we drink about 100 swimmingpools of water in my life time but we only drink about one very deep swimmingpool in a healthy life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's our responsibility to help them and give money for the wells so that they don't drink dirty water.


    florian :P :) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suprised that in blengdash the tolites are not normal.And if a littel poo got en your food you can die or get sick.If I woud be there I dont realy feal good because there are not so many WATER and if there is not so much water I woud be ded.

    By:Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned that we have to be more carefull with water because so that people who don't have water can have some fresh water.
    So that means that we don't leave tabs running.
    some people around the world have to walk eight hours to get water(and not even clean water)
    Youri:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi ms.Castro

    I would like to find out more about what is happining with people without toilets and how many different typs of toilet they use or even have in there contry. I whant to find out more because there is many things and subjects about water and why people whant to drink that dirty water!!! I feel bad for them cause they drink dirty water they take a bath in dirty water and get very sick it would be great if peopl come and build a well them selfs to see if it realy gets there and not just say oh I build you well!!!I s there water stands in africa because they get clean water from somewere, gahna haiti and many countrys cant just go to a store with healthy water they have to walk for water?I have learnd many thing in this vidio like they compared a 9 year old girl to somone in a poor contry,and they 8 year old girl just whent to school and brushed her teeth and ate breckfeast and the other girl that was poor whent to get a bucket and started walking for water at 6:30 AM and the girl whent to school at 7 bet got ready at 6:30 inthe morning. that must mean that they have no tooth bruch thats bad! your:lexi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learnd that we can help people for having fresh water.
    So that means we should be careful what we do.
    Many people do not have good clean water it is a big problem for them.
    The walk for the people can be hours long only walking for water, but remeber not all water is clean. Some water is on health you can get very ill from un safe.I think that when we share the world is a better place.

    Berti

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned why the water of the sea is salty.
    It is salty because rivers get salt from rocks.
    At frist I did not know that but when I heard that I was amazed! Most of the water on the earth is salty water.
    we do not have much of clear water.
    CARLOTTA :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Ms.Castro

    It was very fun writing notes from the book one well.I learnd many things about one well and that the water will never change. I we can do notes again just aut a other book. All the movies we lookd were intristin and I learn very much. The reflekting on the movies and books also was very funy.


    from Jaroscha

    ReplyDelete
  10. What surprised me most is that only three percent of Earths water is fresh water and only 1 percent of it is drinkeble.
    from Erynn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Ms.Castro
    What suprised me was that there is only two percent drinkable water on the earth and that the rest is salt water. What also suprised me that salt water is made through stones. When i first heard that i was really blown away.
    From Theresa:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It surprised me that there were, is and will be the same amaunt of water on earth. What I ferst dident belive but now I think I cude come on it erlier because what comes in alos gose aut.

    Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  13. i think it is very un fair that some peaple dont have enough water! and that we do

    miriam

    ReplyDelete
  14. hello
    what surised me most was that all water is connected, because i always thought that water was not connected. What also suprised me was that we have less than 1 precent fresh water on earth because i thought that the water from rivers or underground is cleaned and that it is fresh water then that is drinkable. what also suprised me was that there is more water in the atmesfear than there is in all the rivers on earth because there are so many rivers on earth and i never knew that there is actually water in the atmesfear. what suprised me really the most was that an glacier in afrika is bigger tha new york city i thought that was amazing and i never thought that an glacier was that big!
    from Julia:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. through the video about toilets,dirty water and clean water, i learned where the sewage from toilets go. it was very interesting when the man in the video said the dirty sewage mixed with water goes down the sewer and goes to a factory where they take all the sewage and bacteria out from the water and turning the water to clean water!but the man said it does take a long time to clear all that sewage.WOW!!!!

    -Ju Eun-

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Ms Castro
    What surprised me the most was that so many people(kids too) need to get water for their whole family twice at day and it takes so much time that the kids can't even play soccer or something like that.Poor kids!And it takes so much time sometimes they miss school because they need to get water and if all year water drops it is so much waste from water .I wouldn'tlike to be in Afrika sertenly not in the part where there is no water because I don't want to get sick

    ReplyDelete
  17. it was fun we did it because we could write notes while she was reading the book I think that the book was very intresting when they said did you know that in a life time you
    drink up to a big swiming pools worth of
    water. I liked it becase it has a lot of facts in it.I think it is a good book because it has a lot of history in it as well like"did you know that their was never more water on the earth when dinisores were alive
    on the earth
    I also think they do some very realistic illustations as well as the writeing is good as well I think that it is a strange title on the front of the book but when you read it you understand. it is a great book and I recamend it to a lot of people

    ReplyDelete
  18. What surprised me most was that most water is salt water. I did not know why that was bur from reading your comments, I do now.

    So now I know something I didn't know before.

    Isn't it great that no matter how old you are you can learn new things!!!

    Mrs. Coffey

    ReplyDelete